51

51

Monday

Screamadelica v XTRMNTR



Noticing that Primal Scream are going to be playing Screamadelica in it's entirety live next year, got me thinking about that extraordinary 3 album burst - Screamadelica, Vanishing Point & XTRMNTR between 1991 and 2000.  (I refuse to count the aberration that was 1994's Give Out But Don't Give Up - what were they thinking, or more to the point, what were they taking, that made that seem like a good idea?)

Anyway, chronological inaccuracy aside, I've always considered these 3 albums belong together and while Screamadelica rightly gets praised as the astonishing reinvention of a band  - it's their London Calling, their Exile On Mail Street in that respect - I'm not sure Vanishing Point & XTRMNTR get the recognition they deserve.

OK the whole dance / rock crossover, that Screamadelica helped to bring in, was old news by the time of the later albums, but they still stand up as a remarkable combination of the MC5, 90's dance music and Krautrock over a decade later.  Not bad in my book.

Personally I think I'd take XTRMNTR over Screamadelica - but that's just me.  I'm off to dig out Vanishing Point now and see how it sounds 13 years down the line...

No comments: