51

51

Wednesday

Morrissey - a national treasure, in exile

Asked about the Royal Wedding by John Wilson in an interview for Radio4's Front Row, Morrissey showed he's still able to come up with a quote:

"I don’t think the so called Royal Family speaks for England now, I don’t think England needs them.  I do seriously think they’re benefit scroungers...ask people in the street if they love the Royal Family and they will laugh at you."
Of course it's got him the attention that, let's face it, is the purpose of doing interviews.  Apparently he's got an album coming out you know, oh and his autobiography manuscript to hawk round the publishers.  But I'm still glad he said it.

As someone who left the country to avoid the last episode of this royal soap opera and will be having my own personal news blackout on Friday, it staggers me that it is still seen as controversial when someone openly questions the point of a royal family.

While we continue to tug our forelocks in deference to people because of their family history, we'll never have a classless society and we will remain subjects rather than citizens.

Musically, Morrissey and I went our separate ways some time ago, so it's not a question of agreeing with every pronouncement from the Bard of Salford - far from it in fact.  But on this one I am glad that bigmouth has struck again!

No comments: