51

51

Tuesday

Poly Styrene 1957 - 2011
















I've just read about the passing of Poly Styrene, yesterday.

Although I would never claim to have been a great fan, I do still have a copy of 'Germ Free Adolescents', admittedly on CD.  At the time I probably just got a few of the singles as shelling out for a whole LP was a big investment, back in those days.

Rediscovering it a few years ago was great, it's a remarkable album even now and one that perhaps couldn't have been made at any other time.


Part of the reason I had a lot of time for Poly Styrene, was the fact that instead of hanging around to cash in, she walked away from music to do other things rather than making X-Ray Spex into a career.  I'm not the best person to talk about her life in general, and I'm sure a lot of other people will be posting their thoughts over the next few days.  But I just liked the fact that she really did seem to turn her back on consumerism in a way few of us, & I include myself here, would have the courage to do.

Suffice to say, with the cruelest of ironies, Poly Styrene's new album 'Generation Indigo' is due to be released in the Sates today.  To listen to a couple of tracks from it, you can go here.

I sent a text to a friend and fellow music fan when I first read the news.  His reply?  'Oh cancer, up yours!'  Couldn't have put it better myself...

RIP the Warrior in Woolworths.

No comments: