51

51

Wednesday

Longships

Currently enjoying the Wonders of Iceland season of programmes on BBC Four (rapidly becoming my favourite channel!).

Which is a good excuse for some pictures of the Hugin longship, which can be found at Pegwell Bay in Kent.


It's actually a replica, built in Denmark and sailed to England in1949, to mark the 1,500th anniversary of the voyage taken by Hengist & Horsa which is considered the starting point of the Anglo-Saxon invasion of England.

When I was a lad, I just knew Hengist & Horsa as cross channel car ferries.  Ah the ignorance of youth!














As for the Hugin itself, it also has a small place in music history, as it featured on the back cover of 'The Raven', the fourth album by The Stranglers.



Unfortunately you can't clamber all over the Hugin these days.  but it is in far better nick, having had a paint job and new sail in 2005.  But I thought I'd stick to black and white, to be in keeping with 'The Raven' artwork.













And by way of comparason, here's what the Hugin looked like circa 1979.  From what I can find out, the original photo was taken by Paul Cox.

Which only leaves me to make the obvious musical link.


No comments: